FACTS ABOUT BACKPACK INJURY
- Heavy backpacks have a destructive impact on the posture and spinal health of children
- Today’s heavy loads are causing Backpack Trauma that can cause problems for a lifetime
- 66% of school nurses reported seeing students with pain or injury attributed to carrying backpacks (AIRPACKS survey, 2000)
- Up to 60% of children will experience back pain by the time they reach 18 years of age (University of Michigan)
- 65% of adolescents’ doctor visits are due to backpack injuries (reported by National Public Radio, October, 1998)
- 55% of students carry more than the recommended national guidelines of 10-15% of body weight (Simmons College, April 2001)
- According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission there were more than 21,000 backpack related injuries treated at hospital emergency rooms, doctor’s offices and clinics in the year 2003. Injuries ranged from contusions, to sprains and strains to the back and shoulder, and fractures.
Celebrate Kids week with us August 8-12th 2016 and refer a friend with their children to join us for our Kids party on Friday, August 12th! “As the twig is bent so grows the tree”, that is why it is important for us at Plasker Family Chiropractic to inform, educate and adjust starting from birth.